Saturday 10 March 2012

Baby Clothes: Little Cute Bundles of Washing


Oh dear, tomorrow turned into the day after the day after tomorrow! Well, here's the next post:

Steven and I are quite anxious to buy baby clothes. Whenever we walk around in a shopping centre, we look in clothing shops to see what adorable little clothes and shoes they have in stock. Alas, the shops don’t have any Winter clothes in stock just yet. And that’s what we’re looking out for as our wonderful little dependant will need warm clothes when he comes into this much colder world.

It’s really hot inside a human being. An incredible 37 degrees Celsius when you’re healthy! I once camped with my sister and her family at a place that felt the need to be very close to 40 degrees. And I can honestly say that I have no idea how I survived. I can’t remember much about those days, leading me to believe that I must have been passed out for most of it. I can imagine that if I was to step out of such an environment into a place with a temperature of about 15 degrees Celsius, I would immediately reach for a jacket, warm socks and a warm oversized blanket and still feel as if I am freezing. And that’s exactly what I can imagine little Long will feel when he decides to stop hiding and comes out to see us. I do pity him already, it must be awful to leave your hot, dark and wet world for a dry alien environment with cold temperatures and blinding lights. I don’t know how any of us weren’t tremendously traumatised by that insane transition.

We did manage to get little Long’s first clothes recently, though. Steven was walking through a big baby section in an Edgars (a South African clothes franchise) while I was dealing with a structural failure of one of my shoes. He came back excited, telling me he found something great. Firstly, what you need to know about Steven is that he’s a huge fan of comic books. So, as you can probably guess, he found a tiny shirt and trousers with a comic book character on it. Namely Spider-Man. Our child won’t even be a day old and already wear a Marvel character on him. Like father, like son. I can’t wait to see them together and bonding.

After the first set of clothes we got, we’re still excited to buy some more clothes. In fact, the hospital I’ll be delivering at gave a list of things to bring with on the day of delivery. Among other things, they ask for six sets of baby clothes! I don’t even have six sets of clothes for myself. But I’ll do that anyways, I suppose they know from experience that babies can soil all of those clothes within the first hour or so. You can probably tell that I have no idea how many times a tiny baby has bathroom needs. But it’s all good, I’m sure I’ll learn soon enough.

Thankful!
As I was typing that last part, I saw shocking security camera footage on this breakfast show I have on in the background. A pedestrian walked slowly and casually onto a pavement as a minibus taxi came into view, not even looking like he slowed down for the man walking. The taxi driver was angry at the pedestrian. I could tell he was as he proceeded to run the man down on the pavement! They skipped the footage forward a bit, showed how the driver got out of his taxi and assault the victim even more. Oh, and all this was happening in front of witnesses who just stood there doing absolutely nothing, almost as if they weren’t seeing anything strange happening! The people presenting the show said that the driver was let go by the courts… What can we do? I only hang my head in shame for my nation.

Which brings me to why I am thankful today. I am thankful to not being the poor victim, of course. But I’m even more thankful that I’m not that driver. He will get his comeuppance and I’m sure it will be quite nasty. I almost feel sorry for him, he’s so ignorant about his own fate.

No comments:

Post a Comment