Tuesday 20 March 2012

A Good Day


You won’t believe how grumpy I can be nowadays. I blame the pregnancy hormones and lack of proper sleep. So Steven decided to have me walk yesterday, it is good exercise.  We walked the 15 to 20 minutes to a shopping centre close by. It’s nothing big and definitely nothing fancy, but we had so much fun just being together and looking at everything. We got ourselves some cereal, chocolate and washing powder. Wild combination of goods, I know. Then we looked around inside a DVD rental spot and, I kid you not, Steven can elaborate on any film I point at. I was amazed yet again by this wealth of knowledge he has on all types of film. He even pointed out a version of The Shining in which he says has the main character actually do some caretaking unlike the most known version where he doesn’t. But that it’s a bit of a boring version even if it’s a bit more faithful to the book.

We then looked at a computer shop to try and see how much they charge for language courses. It’s still a lot of money, that didn’t change since the last time we looked. It’s more than we should spend right now with little Long on the way. So Steven suggested I look online for any language course.

As we walked out, I mentioned that I wanted to see a movie we don’t have. We decided on the A-Team. It bored me stiff the first time around, but now that I’m older and wiser I told him I would try to watch it again. So we went to a second hand shop very close to the computer shop, because we saw the movie in there cheap before. First Steven found Lakeview Terrace, which is high on my “To Watch” list for some odd reason. And then we found the A-Team. The latter was R10 cheaper so we went with that.

When we got home, Steven did some work and I watched TV. There was a talk show on and the topic was sleep disorders! So I watched intently and a wonderful lady who works at the Wits University described me perfectly. She said about how someone that doesn’t sleep well during the night will feel very tired at around 4 or 5 in the afternoon and then again at 9. So come 9 o’clock, the person will say to themselves: “This is bedtime as I’m tired.” and then sleep only to wake up during the night and be awake for hours. Her advice was to keep awake past 9 until about 11 or 12. I decided to try her advice last night already to see if it would work.

It became time to make dinner and watch something we find entertaining and silly at the same time. It’s called 7de Laan, a South African soap which I always think of as amateur. They did get a bit better over the years, but some actors still grind on me. They would be fantastic as stage performers, but alas, they don’t seem to know that stage and film are two different types of performing arts, and that film (or telly) don’t require over the top acting as everyone in the living room can see you. No best seat in the house, unless you have one of those awesome recliners which you can kick back and relax on. No contest there.

After 7de Laan, I washed dishes while Steven made hot chocolate to go with our chocolate. Chocolate overload? Maybe. But we don’t do it so very often, so it was all good. And then we went on to watch the film we got. I enjoyed about 10% of it this time around and the rest bored me stiff yet again. I did also enjoy seeing Sharlto Copely, but because he’s an awesome South African. Fun trivia: You know the part where Sharlto talks in an African language to a passport checker? That’s Swahili. And oddly enough, it’s not one of South Africa’s 11 official languages.

At the end of the film, I was quite tired but had to wait some more before going to sleep. So Steven put on G.I. Joe. I always think it’s a fun film and can’t understand the nay-sayers. So I was a half-dead zombie on the floor, trying desperately to stay awake. A while into the film, I turned to Steven asking him what the time is. He said that it was 11 and I said “Buh-bye.” and zombied off to bed. Blissful sleep fell over me in, I’d say, about one minute of putting my head on the pillow.

How’s this story end? Did the tactic work? Was the chocolate any good? Find the answers to all these questions… well, right now:

Yay! The tactic seemed to have worked. I woke up during the night for the bathroom, but when I went back to bed I fell asleep again! I did wake up at 5:40 but the lady on TV said that it will happen like that. She really knows her stuff. And yes, the chocolate was good, thanks. But I must admit. It gave me stomach ache. I really don’t have it often, and it shows by getting ill from it.

Thankful!
My feet are cold right now. Before I got pregnant, I used to always have cold feet. In so many ways… But it’s like pregnancy creates an internal oven.
So why are cold feet so welcome right now? Because I’m quite tired of walking around without socks. I didn’t realise that your feet can get so dirty by walking around barefoot or even with flip-flops on. Interesting. So yeah, I’m thankful for cold feet now so that I can wear my socks again and stop that weird feeling of dirt all over my feet.

No comments:

Post a Comment