Wednesday 7 March 2012

UTIs: How To Avoid It


This morning I woke up at about 4:30. So I got to see what some TV channels get up to too early in the morning. I was quite amused to find last night’s news repeating on one channel. Apparently, old news seems to be the only thing an early riser can expect from them. But I do forgive them, because they have a mildly entertaining breakfast show right afterwards. And with this being a free television channel in South Africa, mild entertainment is the best you can ask for.

Let’s see if I can take all this waking early stuff and not snap at all and sundry during the day...

Now, as promised, this entry will contain some tips and such on how to avoid urinary tract infections. Please do note that I am nowhere near being a health care consultant, doctor, nurse or any other medical person of interest. I’ve not even been to university! But I have worked in a university’s library once. That was awesome. Enough about me, here’s what I found while researching the subject.

Let’s first look a bit at the micro-organisms that want to cause UTIs. No need for a microscope, I’ll just name and shame them:

A small amount of internet research on Wiki reveals E. coli to be the usual suspect. This I didn’t know. It says that E. coli occurs naturally in our intestines and most types are generally harmless. Amazing! Well, I just really didn’t know that so I’m amazed.
Another bacteria that could cause a UTI is called Staphylococcus saprophyticus. Quite the mouthful, right? Wiki says that it causes about 10% of UTIs.
There are others as well. But those two seem to be the main culprits.

Now getting to the tips on what you can do to avoid it:

Cranberries aren’t just for American Thanksgivings, you know. They really help with the health of your kidneys and other related organs. Look out for unsweetened 100% cranberry juice. In my experience, it does cost a little more than other juices, but your health is priceless so go for it. The taste might threaten to put you off, but I got used to it and so can you.
Do note that, while cranberries can help to avoid it, you shouldn’t rely on them to get healthy again.

Learn from me and make sure that you go to the bathroom whenever you need to. And definitely as soon as you need to. You don’t want your bladder becoming weak now.

Also, very important, drink loads of water. I’ve been known to drink more than two litres a day and I do feel healthier because of it. It rinses you out, which is exactly what you want to do in your delicate state.

Apparently showers are better for your hygiene. Wash every day, but I would suggest not to use harsh soaps. They can disrupt the delicate balance you have going quite naturally.

Symptoms you should not ignore:

Burning when going to the bathroom.
Needing to use the bathroom frequently.
Pain in your abdomen and back.
Not passing enough water when you go.
Blood in the urine.

Do you suspect you have a UTI? Don’t waste time, rush off to the doctor immediately so they can check it out and help you. It’s not something you want to mess around with when pregnant.

Well, this has been a fun two days for me, delving into a pregnancy health problem. But this is not what you can expect every day. I can really talk about other things, honest! And tomorrow I shall.

Thankful!
As I’m sitting here typing this, I’m grateful for the cool wind coming in through my window. It’s been a hot Summer, so I think I’ll appreciate the slight cold of a South African Winter when it comes around. You need some contrast in your life in order to appreciate what you have.

No comments:

Post a Comment